Do me a favor…forget the meal.
When did we decide to take a great day that was originally set aside for us to count our blessings, and turn it into a day of fixating and fussing over the “perfect meal”, and from there, turning it into a gluttonous orgy of excess and indigestion? Why have we let commercialism dumb the day down to an eating contest? Have we lost our intellect to the point that we cannot even recognize the holiday for what it is? It seems that way.
Do you REALLY want to celebrate Thanksgiving? Try one or two of the following:
- Fast and pray from the time you wake until the evening meal.
- Eat a small portion of dinner to show gratitude of having more food in one meal than many people survive on in a week.
- Volunteer at a food kitchen for the day and feed the homeless.
- Sit for an hour or two and meditate on all of the blessings you have in life….not just the impressive things, but the simple blessings of being able to see, walk, hold your children, etc.…
- Call someone that has changed your life and truly thank them for simply being who they are.
- Go for a walk in the woods, along a lake, or down an old dirt road and take in the beauty that God has created, and whisper prayers of thanks while you walk.
- Make a great meal, take it to a family that is destitute, and ask them to enjoy it.
Do you get the picture?
Even if you do have a big dinner with a lot of family and friends, remember the most important part…..giving thanks to God for what he has blessed you with. This holiday is not about turkey and dressing….no matter what the TV tries to tell you….it is about gratitude….to God, to family, to friends, and to those that gave all so we can prosper as a nation. Enjoy the day…..the right way!
Keep the Faith!
The Atomic Dawg
- Share Thanksgiving with the hungry (dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com)
- Thanksgiving, Can You Afford It? (socyberty.com)
- Thanksgiving without the misgivings (self.com)